Art Analysis of Cliff Tuner's November Oil Painting

 

This piece of art is called November by the artist Cliff Turner. This is an oil painting on canvas done in New Brunswick, Canada in 2019 according to the artist’s website that is listed below. The reason why I chose this painting is because I love realistic photos of flowers and the drama of the painting's background really added the flair of moodiness that I am usually drawn to.

To me I see two different emotions that this piece gives off. The flowers show a very delicate nature and entices emotions of happiness and brightness with the smooth curves of the petals and leaves. The colors seem to really pop in contrast with the surrounding dark colors. The light red flower is a nice contrast to the green leaves, while they also seem to go well with the pink flower blending the two together. The vase ties the flowers into the dramatic environment that it is surrounded by. The vase itself has lighter areas to where it makes it brighter, but also reflects the dark tablecloth and clouds at the same intermixing the flowers and darker subjects flawlessly.

The background of the clouds uses blended lines between two contrasting colors to really give a dramatic effect. It seems to show off the flowers beautifully as well since the pop of colors really shined brightly in front of it all. The flower's defined lines compared to the cloud's blurred lines also was a great technique to use in order to create more drama. This painting really is amazing because it not only gave an almost remorse mood with the background, but it somehow blends so well with the bright and warm tones of the flowers.

I think the presentation of the painting being on a 90 cm by 100 cm canvas is perfect to show the simple details of this piece. It’s at a perfect size to where it can replicate the size of the actual objects. This painting would be something that I would love to have in my home, to where I can see it on one of my living room walls or on a hallway wall that has a lot of traffic. It’s something that would fit in perfectly with my décor and my personality. This is one of the many paintings that I really enjoy from this artist.

References:

Turner, Cliff. “Hyperealism Still Life Painting.” Cliff Turner Art , Cliff Turner, 2019, https://www.cliffturnerart.com/still-life.

Comments

  1. Hello Cassandra, I liked the piece of art that you shared in your blog post. I enjoyed that the flowers, as you suggested, convey happiness because they are so bright and vibrant. I also really liked that the painter was able to portray the clear vase, and the water so well, while having the vase reflect so much of its surroundings. I thought it was cool how the painter shaped the clouds, to show that they are blowing to the left.
    I would also like to point out the fact that the vase of flowers was set onto the blanket with horizontal lines of black and white. These horizontal lines are used to convey calmness. I believe that this was done to show that the flowers and the surrounding area are calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this is a very dramatic piece! My eye is instantly drawn to the red flower as the focal point, then following the dark cloud around to the green leaves. I would also agree that it gives off a moody feel due to the dark clouds.

    You provided a great analysis of this piece! I’d like to add that the light and dark elements are mirrored on both the left and right side of the artwork. The light element on the left as the white flower buds, the right as the pale colored sky; The dark element on the left as the black cloud, on the right as the green foliage. This contrast of light and dark on both sides further deepens the vertical divide through the painting. It is also curious that there is horizontal mirroring, with the clouds and flowers having curved lines, while the cloth and stems are continuous lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cassandra! You've chosen a beautiful painting to analyze. I completely agree with the vase being perfectly done, that amount of work in the reflections and refractions is mind boggling. The use of juxtaposition in this piece is also masterfully done in my eyes, the way the ominous swelling storm clouds play with the tranquility of the flowers is honestly inspiring.

    I also appreciate you talking about the size of the painting and that being an important piece of the viewing experience. The physical aspect of all art is greatly underappreciated in our technologic world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cassandra,

    This is such a beautiful, and crisp piece. The vase was perfectly done, and the flowers are such an eyecatcher color. The mixtures of the light and dark elements really bring out the feelings, which I find to be a mixed amount of emotions.

    I love that this brought you joy, and I find myself being calmed by it. The horizon line, brings out an emotion of ease and calm. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts