Post Modern Art Installations

 For this exhibit I chose three artists that reflect the post modern art era that are famous for their art installations that take up large rooms in order to engulf the viewer into a whole new experience. To me these three artists reflect a promotion of individual uniqueness. It seemed that after the Vietnam War, people were becoming more open to expressing themselves and not fitting into a certain culture for every day style and life. With this era showcasing a new style and way of creating art, there was a new playing field for what could be done. I think each of the below artists accomplish such amazing art installations in their own unique ways that make them memorable and a ton of fun!

Flower Obsession – Yayoi Kusama




All the Eternal Love I have For the Pumpkins – Yayoi Kusama

The first artist that I love is Yayoi Kusama.  She is a 93-year artist from Japan who started to create art as an act of rebellion. She’s known for her love of polka dots as well as how they came about through hallucinations. Her eccentric art is also reflected in her fashion, which tends to be brightly colored and decorated with polka dots.

The first art installation that I’d like to discuss is an entire apartment display called the Flower Obsession. It was on display at the National Gallery of Victoria Triennial in 2017. It’s a setting of an apartment that is completely covered in flowers of different hues of red and pink. This is one of her staged settings that act as a blank canvas and are then decorated by visitors to help cover the room in stickers of these flowers. It’s absolutely beautiful and such a unique idea. It still very much encompasses her personality because the flowers have a black polka dot in the middle that reflect the circles that she loves so much. It’s a very unique way of creating art especially when permitting others to join in on the fun. The colors are vibrant, with a unique texture in the way that you see that there are flowers that pop out from the scene. The contrast of the red and pink against the white walls and setting gives off a very romantic and beautiful scene, one that would be very difficult to see in day-to-day life which makes it so much more memorable. Even with all of the flowers you can still make out furniture and decorations that lined the room. This would be impossible to do in a person’s home, but I would love to see this in person and experience it firsthand.

Her second installation that I love is called All the Eternal Love I Have for the Pumpkins. This was an art installation at the Dallas Museum of Art from 2017 to 2018. It is an installation that takes up an entire room that falls under her signature Infinity Mirror Rooms. The main subjects of the room are yellow pumpkins covered in black polka dots and creates a unique view of a never ending landscape of pumpkins on the floor, walls, and even ceiling. The yellow pumpkins against the black backdrop is a beautiful contrast that really makes the pumpkins stand out. The mirrors give it a very dreamlike setting. For how random it is, I feel excited at how different it is. Where someone stands also seems to change the person’s perspective on the scene. Where one angle might show an infinite number of clear and even pumpkins, another angle might show you a vast new world from above where the pumpkins seems to dim and be of another world. It truly shows off her love of pumpkins! This would be another amazing installation to see in person at a museum since it certainly wouldn’t be practical to have in someone’s home.

Tijuanatanjierchandelier – Jason Rhoades

My Madinah – Jason Rhoades

The second artist that I really enjoyed viewing their artwork is Jason Rhoades. He is also another artist that does art installation and frequently uses neon lights, rope, and textiles in his displays. The two that I really love are Tijuanatanjierchandelier and My Madinah. Tijuanatanjierchandelier was displayed in private art gallery in New York in 2019 while My Madinah was displayed in the same gallery in 2004. He uses neon lights in a variety of pastel colors and in what I believe are a variety of different languages. In the two installations that I’ve chosen the common features include viewers being able to relax within the installation under the vibrant neon lights. One of the settings a bit more chaotic, while the other reflects more organized setup. I think this unique display really shows off the artists preferences and emotions. I could say that the chaotic side reflects most of my day-to-day life as a Mom of three boys, while the other more organized one would be the rare occasions that I was able to really stop and look at each detail of my life. My Madinah definitely gives me a more relaxed emotion, but honestly I love the other one because I’m in awe with the placement of everything. To me it’s easier to be organized and set everything perfectly apart, but it’s the organized chaos that I find quite fascinating. There’s definitely a bit of texture in both installations with the textiles available for people to sit on. I can imagine that it’s a unique feeling being able to touch the threads of the rugs and blankets while taking in all of the details. It’s certainly too large and not practical for my home, but it wouldn’t be a bad setup to add a neon sign to my home. It’s becoming popular to incorporate classical art with more modern touches of added graffiti and even neon signs to display next to them.

Lux, Lumens and Candelas – Adela Andea

Chaos Incarnate – Adela Andea

The last artist that I fell in love with is Adela Andea. She has two pieces that rely on light to really make her art installations pop. I have a feeling that I might have a love for neon signs and colorful lights. The first installation shown is called Lux, Lumens and Candelas and was displayed in 2010 at the Anya Tish Gallery in Houston, Texas. The second installation I chose for her is called Chaos Incarnate and was on display at the Center for International Light Art in Unna, Germany in 2021. For her art she uses industrial electronics, lights, and other mass produced objects in order to create these almost whimsical installations and are built on the idea of how technology and consumerism can effect the environment. Even through her message, it seems to shine a light onto her individual personality and how she it is allowing it to really be at the forefront of her art. Her artwork uses a wide range of different energetic colors. Each piece is also textured with different materials that give it dimension. The lights used either help to add color to the background of each structure or creates a nice “electric” line to draw the attention of the viewer.  Lux, Lumens and Candelas gives me more of a mellow vibe even though there is a lot going on. I believe that because the light gives off colors that seem to work well together, it’s not completely chaotic like the other piece is, especially given its name. The other piece is certainly much more bright and in your face, especially when you have the white backdrop that helps to give a bit of contrast and seems to help brighten the room. Although, I love both installations it certainly wouldn’t fit in my home or along with my decorations. These are another piece of artwork that I would really enjoy at a museum.

References: 

Barnes, Sara. “Yayoi Kusama's Latest Installation ‘Obliterates’ an Entire Apartment in Red Flowers.” My Modern Met, My Modern Met, 27 Apr. 2018, https://mymodernmet.com/yayoi-kusama-flower-obsession/ .

Bhullar, Dilpreet. “Adela Andea's Light Installations Reflect on Organic and Technological Matters.” STIRworld, STIRworld, 17 Nov. 2021, https://www.stirworld.com/see-features-adela-andea-s-light-installations-reflect-on-organic-and-technological-matters .

David, Eric. “Jason Rhoades' Brilliant Installations at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles.” Yatzer, Yatzer, 15 Apr. 2017, https://www.yatzer.com/jason-rhoades-installations .

“Installation: Lux, Lumens and Candelas (Detail) by Adela Andea.” Anya Tish Gallery, Anya Tish Gallery, https://anyatishgallery.com/art/installation-lux-lumens-and-candelas-detai-by-adela-andea .

Person. “10 Things to Know about Yayoi Kusama: Christie's.” Yayoi Kusama: 10 Things to Know about the Japanese Contemporary Artist | Christie's, Christies, 17 Sept. 2021, https://www.christies.com/features/10-things-to-know-about-Yayoi-Kusama-7373-1.aspx#:~:text=She%20now%20lives%20voluntarily%20in,been%20her%20home%20since%201977 .

Richman-Abdou, Kelly. “7 Most Spectacular 'Mirror Room' Installations by Yayoi Kusama.” My Modern Met, My Modern Met, 9 Oct. 2017, https://mymodernmet.com/yayoi-kusama-mirror-room-installations/2/ .

Comments

  1. Cassandra,
    I really loved reading through your blog and I also love all the installation artists that you chose to highlight. My most favorite piece of art that you picked is "Flower Obsession" by Yayoi Kusama. I really enjoyed the brightness of that one, but also all the art that you chose was super bright and colorful which I think is super fun. I think that these artists all did a great job of picking the right place for their installation art to be, and to be enjoyed by the public. The last artist you chose, Adela Andea has a super cool style of art, unlike anything I have seen before which really stood out to me. The texture of all of these artworks are super interesting, especially the hanging pieces by Jason Rhoades. I think the bright neon colors of all of these are what really makes them stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how loud and over-exaggerated these are. I think that the closer to the post modern era the more artists began to branch out in art. In out past lessons all of the art was similar in media and elements. But then people began to add strange shapes and colors and then sculpt. Seeing the art in your post is a great example of artists branching out of their norms and being unique in their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blog post! I loved all the works you shared; my theme was Japanese culture, that post-war artwork styles helped change and their desire for independence that showed in their artwork through freedom of expression. I bet the artist you showcased, Yayoi Kusama gained many of her ideas from art themes created post world war ii in Japan.
    Your analysis of the works chosen is done very well; I especially liked how you contrasted Jason Rhoades's works by comparing their differences in tone. One reminded you of a chaotic life of a mom with three children, while the other had a calming and rare moment of your chaotic life that you could step back and take a breather. I, too, see that now and can connect with you on that level all too well!
    You stated in the introduction these works tied together because of the change in artwork styles following the Vietnam war. I was bummed not to see the years the pieces you showcased were crafted; you showed where they are housed in the present but not the time in history they were painted. I would have liked to know the year of completion and what brought about the shift from traditional works produced before the war. Another area I wanted to know was what mediums were used to create the artworks. Were they all paintings on canvas or mixed media artwork that used more than one particular material to create the art?
    Thank you, Cassandra, for sharing a lovely art blog with our class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, All the Eternal Love I have For the Pumpkins was so simple yet so beautiful! I had no idea those were pumpkins until I read your analysis. It's crazy how something as simple as pumpkins and polka dots can be so stunning! I was also wondering if the artist used special lighting or if the contrast between the black and the yellow was so strong that it gave an illuminating look. Either way it's incredible and I'm glad you included it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts